Even with the wide range of products available in the market, you will still find it very challenging to find the best, most well-performing cable modems suitable for your use.
A good cable modem does not necessarily have to cost you a huge sum of money, nor should it only be from a really top-notch brand. Rather, the best cable modem should have certain qualities such as good streaming capability and reliable encryption, as well.
|View Latest Price|
|View Latest Price|
The following article will review and compare the two top models in the market, Motorola MB8600 and the Netgear CM1000.
Our Top Pick
If you don't currently have the time to read our full review, our top pick is the Motorola MB8600 because:
- It is backed by a two-year warranty offered by manufacturer. This ensures the reliability and longevity of the product.
- It has DOCSIS 3.1 and 3.2 ratings, which are the most advanced firmware upgrades, guaranteeing compatibility with fast internet speeds.
- It features a five-minute setup. It’s easy and highly convenient for first-time buyers or beginners.
What Do I Need to Know Before Buying?
Before you can decide which modem to choose between the Motorola MB8600 and the Netgear CM1000, it is important to make some important considerations and look at some key factors that play an important role in the modem’s performance.
DOCSIS protocols are firmware standards that specify the data transfer rate and the speed of the modem’s connectivity. The 3.1 and 3.2 DOCSIS protocols are the most advanced upgrades, and therefore, you should look for a device that meets these ratings.
Bonded channels are the upstream and downstream channels. In ideal cases, the 32x8 channels are the best, most reliable bonded channels that guarantee exceptionally fast speed.
Some modems come with extra USB ports. These allow you to connect the modem with other computers and devices such as printers and scanners, too.
Before you invest in a model, make sure to check its compatibility with your current ISP. A good way to do this is to call the ISP customer service to find out about the compatibility of the device with the service you are using.
Many modems widely available in the market come backed by a generous warranty. Warranties help ensure the reliability of the product you are purchasing. They also cover repair, maintenance, and any other replacement costs for a good period of time, making sure you do not have to pay any extra money.
Motorola MB8600 vs. Netgear CM1000 Comparison
Two of the best, most well-known, and reputable brands in the market are Motorola and Netgear. They have succeeded in providing the most reliable modems and routers in the market for years. Therefore, these two modems, the MB8600 and the CM100, have fierce competition between each other. Let’s compare them on the basis of important features and see which one suits you the best.
As internet usage rapidly becomes an integral part of our daily lives, we often overlook the privacy threats it brings along with it. Although we don’t often think about it, as soon as you put your home’s devices online, you’re at risk of an attack. Therefore, when buying a modem, security is an important consideration. From your computer’s passwords to your home network’s security details, everything is stored on the internet network. Therefore, safety encryption on a modem is a really important factor.
- Motorola MB8600: It features a unique Broadcom chipset meant to protect your devices from several types of service attacks. The Broadcom capture digital tuner is also featured in this modem that acts as an energy-saving mechanism for the device. Moreover, the modem also conforms to the Bureau Veritas 60950-1 ITE US Safety standards.
- Netgear CM1000: It is also equipped with a Broadcom chipset. The chipset is made by world-famous software producer, Broadcom, who aims to bring better quality networking encrypted with safety guards to protect sensitive data from attacks. The CM1000 Broadcom Chipset is also a lot safer and more reliable than modems and devices that use the Intel Puma Chipset.
In terms of encryption and from a safety perspective, both modems give tough competition to one another. On this point, we think the Motorola modem wins over the Netgear device, due to its conformation to international security standards.
Wireless Speed Rating
All modem devices come with a certain wireless speed rating. Usually, you find a range of modems with a speed rating labeled in terms of Mbps (Megabytes Per Second) or Gbps (Gigabytes Per Second). These ratings will determine the speed of data transfer, streaming speed, download, and upload speed and will also affect the quality and speed of internet connection your devices will get with this modem. However, you should keep in mind that this speed rating does not necessarily guarantee an increase in your overall internet service quality. The determinant speed of your internet depends on the contract or service you have opted for from your ISP.
- Motorola MB8600: It has a wireless speed rating of about 3.8 Gbps and DOCSIS ratings of 3.1 and 3.2, offering you versatile compatibility with a range of ISP services.
- Netgear CM1000: The modem has a speed rating of about one Gbps, while also offering a range of speed ratings to choose form. It can be chosen with a speed rating of 100 to 2000 Mbps speeds. It has a DOCSIS 3.1 standard rating with a 32x8 channel bonding.
Theoretically, the Motorola modem offers a greater speed rating compared to the Netgear. However, considering that you are most likely to get a speed of no more than one Gbps by your ISP, both will, more or less, work similarly to one another. With a greater speed rating of 3.8 Gbps, the Motorola modem surely wins in this category.
Streaming capabilities refer to the speed and consistency at which the modem is able to transfer the data between the device and the computer. Many users need a modem to download heavy data, play 4k games online, and even stream movies and videos online. For these purposes, you will need a model with a good streaming capability.
- Motorola MB8600: It has a good internet speed rating of over 3.8 Gbps with its versatile four Ethernet ports. This makes it a remarkable product for use with streaming UHD quality videos and games online.
- Netgear CM1000: It has a data transfer rate of 300 Mbps, along with compatibility with internet services with a rating of one-Gigabyte. Consequently, it is good for 4k quality gaming and video streaming.
All in all, we think the Motorola MB8600 is a better choice in terms of streaming capabilities, especially for people who need to stream heavy-duty games and videos online.
When you are choosing the best modem for yourself, whether for home or office use, you will always need to consider the ease of use it has to offer. One of the many important considerations is the ease with which you can set up the device. Usually, many modems come with setup capabilities backed by a smartphone application or a detailed user manual. Some brands also offer very reliable customer and technical support for their users to guarantee a smooth and quick set up.
- Netgear CM1000: It features a five-minute setup capability. It requires you to simply connect the coax cable into the modem that comes with it. You get to choose from two setup options. You can either call the manufacturer to send you professional help for the set-up, or you can simply connect an Ethernet cable between the modem and your computer. Once the cable is connected, you will simply need to follow the on-screen prompts to set up the device within minutes.
- Motorola MB8600: It requires you to connect it with a coaxial cord. After that, connect it to a power source to turn it on. Once on, you will need to connect the internet Ethernet cord to the device that comes included in the package. Connect the other end of the cable to your computer. Once connected, activate the modem by calling your ISP and providing them with the credentials provided to you on the device.
To sum it up, both modems require set up taking no more than six to seven minutes. Yet, the Netgear modem is a much easier device to set up.
The hardware of a modem refers to its build quality, design, and external features. It is important to remember that the reliability of a modem depends hugely on its hardware quality since it guarantees durability and longevity. Features such as ventilation design and convenience features such as LED indicators are all important considerations.
- Netgear CM1000: This is one of their first DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit modems launched into the market. It has an incredibly advanced and strategic design, featuring well-lit LED lights that indicate the device's status. In addition, it has a sleek, all-black exterior with a silver/grey shiny panel for the LED lights. It has a net-like design all over that allows healthy air ventilation, making the device safe and reliable.
- Motorola MB8600: This also has a net-like exterior meant specifically for ensuring good airflow and ventilation to prevent overheating of the device. Moreover, it has a stand-alone style, featuring a sleek combination of dark silver exterior and a black panel with bright LED light indicators.
In terms of eye appeal, the Motorola modem has a better exterior and hardware design. In terms of ventilation, both modems are equally good. Therefore, in this category, both the devices give tough competition to one another.
Motorola MB8600 and Netgear CM1000 Differences
Motorola MB8600 and Netgear CM100 come from different brands and vary in terms of different aspects such as data transfer speed, number of ports, and ISP compatibility. However, their core functionality is quite similar and features like their build designs for ventilation and setup time are very similar to one another.
Some important, key similarities between the two devices include their chipset type. Both devices are equipped with the Broadcom chipset for safety purposes. Moreover, both devices are also equipped with bright LED light indicators that help you check their status at a quick glance. A major difference between the two devices is that the Motorola modem is backed by a two-year warranty offered by the brands themselves. In contrast, there is no specific mention of any warranty offered by the Netgear modem.
The Motorola MB8600 has a data transfer speed of 1000 Mbps. Theoretically, the device can be used with internet services of speeds up to 3.8 Gbps. Meanwhile, the Netgear modem has a data transfer speed of 300 Mbps.
The Motorola MB8600 has a total of four Gigabyte Ethernet ports. With this versatile range of ports, it is able to offer an incredible internet speed rating of up to 3 Gbps. In contrast, Netgear CM1000 features only one Gigabyte Ethernet port. It has one LAN port and one main port for the coax cable.
Motorola MB8600 has an overall weight of 1.1 ounces and measures 7.25 x 2.25 x 7.88 inches. It features a dark grey exterior with a black LED light panel. Meanwhile, the Netgear CM1000 has a weight of 2.14 ounces and measures 10.2 x 7.2 x 4.5 inches in size. It has an all-black exterior with a silver panel.
Overview of Our Winner
The Motorola MB8600 stands out as the winner of this round-up. Through thorough comparison and in-depth reviewing of the two market-leading products, the Motorola modem undoubtedly surfaces as a winner between the two products.
The incredible range of features this modem has includes a sleek black and gray exterior with a panel of bright LED light indicators that efficiently display the device’s status. In addition to this, it also offers a good number of Ethernet ports. With four Gigabit Ethernet ports, you can make great use out of the modem.
In addition to this, this outstandingly efficient modem also has great streaming capability. It is highly recommended and suitable for people who want to stream, download, and play ultra-high-definition videos and online games. All these incredible features come at a rather competitive price. Motorola modems are also popular in the market for their easy-to-setup systems, backed by reliable and efficient customer support, too.
Another great feature that makes the Motorola modem a winner in this round-up is that it is backed by a generous two-year warranty offered by the manufacturer. With advanced DOCSIS, the Motorola modem is going to be the perfect device for all types of users and purposes.
Another important feature that makes the Motorola model stand out in the market is its user-friendly options. It has an easily accessible reset button that allows you to reset the password of your device quickly. With a digital tuner, Broadcom chipset, and advanced DOCSIS 3.1 rating, this modem is meant to enhance your internet speed and improve your overall user experience.
Summing the article up, we can conclude it is important that the modem you choose fits well with your purpose and usage. If you invest in a model that is neither compatible with your ISP nor with the internet speed offered by your provider, the money will go to waste. Buying your own personal modem is a much better, cost-effective choice to make, but you need to make the choice really carefully. By contacting and checking the compatibility of your device with ISP, and by checking the hardware quality of the device, you can surely make great use of it. Motorola and Netgear stand out in the market today as the leading manufacturers of some top-notch, high-end modems and routers.