Signing up for Verizon internet services offers you two options: a FIOS or DSL connection. More people than ever are choosing the fiber-optic technology of FIOS because it allows you to do more with faster speeds. If FIOS isn’t available in your area, Verizon still offers DSL high-speed internet for your needs.
Whether you have FIOS or DSL, installing and setting up your device is a simple process. In this router login tutorial, we will explain how to log into your Verizon device and configure your settings to give you the best performance and speeds.
How to Login to a Verizon Router
If you choose FIOS services, you can expect faster upload and download speeds than your average internet service. Depending on your equipment and bandwidth, FIOS devices produce signals about 40-60% faster than other high-speed internet items. You would expect the setup process to be more complicated, but it’s not. The FIOS products have a very similar setup and login process as other devices.
If you choose to install your item at home, Verizon can deliver it to your home, or you can pick it up from one of their stores. If you are switching providers, install your FIOS device and make sure you have internet service before turning off your old services.
To Install Your FIOS Router
Follow these instructions to install your FIOS device.
1. Unpack your Verizon box and make sure you have all of the necessary parts.
You should have a coaxial cable, an Ethernet cord, a power adapter, and the device itself.
2. Find a good location for your device.
Try and pick a place in the center of your home to make sure you can access uninterrupted wireless Internet anywhere in the house.
3. Disconnect all wireless devices, such as Smart TVs, gaming consoles, and tablets.
4. Insert one end of the coaxial cable into the port on the back of your device. Use the other end to connect to the coaxial wall outlet in your home.
If your services support more than 100 Mbps, then connect an ethernet cable to the white ethernet port - which is located on the back of the device. Insert the other end to the Ethernet wall jack in your home.
5. Connect the A/C power cord to the back of your device. Use the other end to plug into a wall outlet.
6. Your device will turn on as soon as you connect it to a power source. Your product will turn back on in about fifteen to twenty minutes.
The item may turn off and turn back on during this process. When you see solid green lights on the back of the device and solid white lights on the front, your item is turned on.
If you see solid or flashing red lights, there is something wrong with your connection. Unplug the cords from the device and attempt the setup process again. If you still see red lights, contact Verizon support.
To log into your FIOS device
Complete these steps to connect to the Internet and log into your device.
1. Once your device turns on, connect to the Internet using either a hardwired or a wireless connection.
How Do I Use a Hardwired Connection?
A hardwired connection means that you connect your computer directly to the device. Using an ethernet cable, insert one end to one of the four yellow Ethernet ports on the back of your device. Insert the other end of the Ethernet cord into the Ethernet port on your computer. Open an internet browser on your computer to check for an internet connection.
How Do I Connect to my Device Wirelessly?
For a wireless connection, open the available wireless connections on your smartphone or tablet. Look on the side of your device for a sticker with your router’s credentials printed on it. Here, you will find the network name (SSID) and the SSID password.
There will be two names – one for each bandwidth. The SSID name of the 2.4 GHz bandwidth will be slightly different than the name of the 5 GHz. Make sure you are connecting to the best bandwidth for you. Hint: the 2.4GHz has a better range, so it is better for any wireless devices in your home, such as tablets and smartphones. The 5 GHz bandwidth has better speed, but less range. It is better for streaming devices such as a smart TV or gaming console.
On your device, find the wireless connection that matches your SSID network name. Click on the connection and enter the default password listed on the side of your router. Press connect. Open a web browser on your device to see if you are connected to the Internet.
2. Once you open an internet browser, it will automatically direct you to the Verizon website. Follow the on-screen directions to finish registering your account and installing your router.
Logging Into Your Device After Installation
If you have already installed your services, you can still log into your Verizon router to change your settings or monitor your internet connection. Follow these steps only after installation is complete.
1. On a computer or tablet, open an internet browser.
2. Enter the router’s default IP address. This is listed on the side of your device; It is labeled as the “Administration URL.”
Your router's default IP address will depend on your device’s model. It will usually be 192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.250, or myfiosgateway.com.
3. When the login screen appears, enter the default username and password.
Depending on the item, these credentials will change. Always check the side of your device first for the “Administration” username and password. If an “Administration” username is not listed, the default username is “admin.” If an “Administration password is not listed, the default password is “password.” Most Verizon items use the default username “admin” and the default password “password.” If you are having trouble logging in, consult your user manual for the correct credentials to use for this step.
You will not have to type in a username or password if you are connected to your router with a hardwired connection.
4. You are now logged into the router’s main menu, where you can change your settings and make your device more secure.
If you have DSL services, read the following article to complete your installation and login process.
Watch these Youtube videos for step-by-step tutorials on how to log into your Verizon router:
You can also log into your device with the Verizon FIOS app. It is an excellent tool for monitoring your device wirelessly. Download the Verizon FIOS app from the Google Play store or the Apple App Store. Log in to the app with your My Verizon account information. From here, you can change your settings, monitor your internet use, plus much more.
How to Reset Verizon Router
Sometimes an installation doesn't go as planned, and you may have issues logging into your device. In other cases, your Verizon router may not be performing the best. In both cases, a reboot or a reset may resolve the problem.
How to Reboot a Verizon Router
For minor problems, such as connection or speed issues, rebooting your device is the best solution. Rebooting your product means turning it off and turning it back on again. This doesn’t affect your router’s settings. Follow the instructions below to reboot your device.
1. Unplug your router from the wall outlet.
2. Leave the router unplugged for 60 seconds.
3. Reconnect the A/C power cord to the wall outlet.
4. Wait up to three minutes for the router to turn back on.
5. Open an internet browser on your computer or mobile device to check for an internet connection.
How to Reset a Verizon Router
Reset your Verizon device if a reboot doesn’t resolve any connection issues. The reset will restore your device to factory settings – as if it just came out of the box. Performing a reset is especially helpful if you forget your login information. Write down any settings you want to save, such as your router login and SSID usernames and passwords, as well as your encryption settings. You can restore them manually after the reset.
Follow these steps to reset your device:
1. Find the Reset button on the back of your item.
The Reset button is located inside a small hole labeled "Reset." It is usually next to the A/C power port.
2. Use a pen or a paper clip to hold down the “Reset” button.
Insert the edge of an unfolded paper clip or the tip of a ballpoint pen into the "Reset" hole until you hear a quiet click.
3. Hold the button down for 15 seconds.
The device will shut off and then turn back on.
4. Keep holding the button down for the full 15 seconds. Release the “Reset” button.
Wait until you see a solid green light on the back of the item and solid white lights on the front.
5. You can now log into your Verizon device and update your settings.
Log into your Verizon router using the default login information listed on the side of your item.
How to Configure Verizon Router
Your Verizon device comes with a pre-set with a default device username and password, as well as default usernames and passwords for the internet connections. As soon as you log into your device for the first time, change these default values to keep your Internet as secure as possible.
Changing the Item’s Username/Password
Follow these steps to change the router’s default username and password:
1. Log into your device with the default username/password.
These credentials are listed as the “Administration” credentials on the side of your device. If you don’t see them, use the username/password “admin/password.”
2. In the left panel on your screen, find the "Quick Links" section.
3. Click on the “Change Admin Password” link.
4. On the next screen, enter your updated username and password in the corresponding text boxes.
5. Click “Apply” to save your settings.
Updating Wireless Security Settings
Changing your Wireless Settings on a Verizon router is easier than most other interfaces because it allows you to update the settings for each bandwidth at the same time. Follow these directions to make your wireless settings more secure.
1. From the main page of the menu, click on the “Wireless Settings” option at the top of the screen.
You may also reach the same screen by clicking the “Change Wireless Settings” link under the Quick Links section on the left navigation panel.
2. Click on “Basic Security Settings” on the left side of the screen.
If you click on the “Change Wireless Settings" under Quick Links, you are automatically directed to this page.
3. Under "1. Turn Wireless On," click the “On” buttons next to the 2.4GHz wireless signal and the 5GHz wireless signal.
4. For the next step, "2. Change the SSID setting to any name or code you want," edit the SSID names of both bandwidth signals in the corresponding text boxes.
They should be different (by inserting a few more characters on one), so you can tell the difference between them. However, you should also recognize both of them when viewing a list of available networks on a device.
5. Under “3. Channel,” change the channels for both bandwidths to “Automatic” using the dropdown menu arrow.
6. Make sure “Keep my channel selection during power cycle” is checked.
7. Under “4. Wi-Fi Security,” select “WPA2” Security for each bandwidth. These are assigned a "Low" risk level, so they are the safest Wi-Fi security options.
8. As soon as you choose the security level for both bandwidths, a dropdown menu will appear, prompting you to change your SSID password. Change the passwords for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz connections in each text box. These passwords can be the same.
9. The last step on this page, “5. Write down your Wi-Fi Settings,” displays your new Wi-Fi settings. Write them down, or highlight them to print them out. Keep this page in a safe place in case you need to reset your router.
10. Click “Apply.”
11. You'll receive a confirmation message. Click, "OK."
12. Connect your wireless devices to the Internet using your new SSID name and password.
For a visual explanation on this process, watch this Youtube video:
Logging into your router and changing your settings is essential to install your home network. Once that is complete, you can connect your devices to the Internet to enjoy your services. The technology of FIOS routers lets you stream, browse the Internet, and connect multiple devices without any signal lag – which will keep your whole family happy.
People Also Ask
Browse this section for frequently asked questions on setting up your Verizon router for the first time.
What is the Username and Password For Verizon Router?
Most Verizon routers have a default username, "admin." The password will be printed on the side of the device.
How Do I Find My Verizon Router Password?
Your router’s admin password and SSID network password are both printed on the side of your router.
How Do I Change My Verizon Router Name and Password?
To change the admin username and password for your device, log into your router. Find the Quick Links section, located on the left of the screen. Click on the “Change Admin Password” link. Follow the prompts to change your router’s username and password. Click “Apply” to save your settings.
How Much is a Verizon Router?
Verizon routers are moderately priced, and you can either buy or rent them. Renting is usually a better option if you are sharing your Internet with roommates or plan on moving soon to a place where you may not be able to transfer your Verizon services. However, if you are living somewhere for the long haul, consider purchasing your item. It is more expensive up front, but you can eliminate the monthly rental fee.
How Do I Update My Verizon Router Software?
Verizon automatically sends updates to your device, so you do not have to complete this step manually.
How Do I Change My Verizon Router Settings?
Log into your device using the default administration username and password (if you have not changed these already.) Once you reach the router’s menu, you can change your settings.
Will Verizon Upgrade My Router For Free?
If you start experiencing performance issues with your Verizon router, the company will usually upgrade your router for free – especially if you’ve had the same one for a few years. Verizon will send you a new one, and you can return the old one by mail or by visiting a location.
Are Verizon Routers Secure?
Every Verizon router comes with the ability to be as secure as possible, but they are only as safe as you make them. When you receive your device, change the username and password, as well as the SSID network name and password. You can secure your information by using anti-virus software, engaging your firewalls, and turning off your device during vacations.
Can You Have Two Verizon Routers One House?
Your FIOS router is a modem/router combination device, so you can easily configure it for a second device. Setting your second item up as a network extender will give you a more reliable signal even in your home's dead zones. Make sure your device is compatible with Verizon services for the best results.