Finding the right router for the growing number of devices in your home can be a tough job. Some spend days or weeks researching for the best router to satisfy their family’s or business’ demands. The TP-Link Archer AC4000 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router stands out for us because of the company’s commitment to delivering high-quality, easy-to-use home routers for the consumers’ specific needs.
With more than a decade into business and serving millions of people in over 170 countries, TP-Link made its mark in the global market, bagging the J.D. Power Award for wireless routers in 2017, 2019, and 2020.
Main Features & Benefits
Enjoying your 4K videos and online games is a breeze with the TP-Link Archer AC4000 because of the NitroQAM technology that boosts throughput and performance. Instead of using the standard 802.11ac Wi-Fi 5 connection, it uses 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6) that delivers a 25% more data rate compared with standard routers. The Archer AC4000 also supports different operating systems, such as Windows 10, Mac OS 10.12, and Linux, so using it with your new devices won’t pose any issues.
Powered with a 1.8 GHz 64-bit CPU, three co-processors, and 512 MB of RAM, the TP-Link Archer AC4000 works as a great gaming router. It is equipped with a WAN port, 4 LAN Gigabit ports, and two USB ports (USB 3.0 and USB 2.0) that allow you to transfer data to cloud storage or install a printer for remote printing within your network. Wireless devices get the same fast internet with the Quality of Service (QoS) feature that prioritizes devices and applications that need a faster connection. MU MIMO technology (Multiple Users, Multiple Input, Multiple Output) enables every device to connect at the same speed as the other devices.
Another noteworthy feature of the TP-Link Archer AC4000 Wi-Fi router is the excellent security controls which is a must-have. Users with kids can take advantage of Parental Control which gives peace of mind. You can set up user profiles to block inappropriate content and restrict time on the internet. This router also features a lifetime built-in antivirus system that protects your network from harmful and malicious sites, keeping your information and data secure.
This TP-Link tri-band router supports link aggregation that doubles throughput by acting as a single link. It also comes with RangeBoost technology that widens the Wi-Fi range in large homes. Aside from that, the Archer AC4000 supports beamforming that directs internet connection to a specific receiving device, intensifying the connection and making it more reliable. It also works with Alexa so you can turn off guest access with just a simple voice command. It also comes with a companion Android or IOS app so you control your router at your fingertips.
Like all other routers, the TP-Link Archer AC4000 is not perfect. The connection can be intermittent at times and the guest wireless network is not completely independent from the main connection. These are small glitches, though, and are manageable as long as the internet connection doesn’t stop altogether.
What is the TP-Link Archer AC4000 Best For?
The TP-Link Archer AC4000 router is best for homes with multiple users with high internet demand for gaming and HD video streaming.
What Buyers Have To Say
After some research on TP-Link AC4000 performance, we found some very valuable information and positive reviews. Here are some customer testimonies from the Amazon website to reinforce the claims of this product.
This wifi router covers our vacation home with high speed signal on all three levels and on all devices. Management app on Android is good, although I wish they had a wifi signal strength diagnostic so you could figure out where the weakest locations are, and perhaps adjust placement to compensate.
It's a fine choice if a mesh network is beyond your budget for a larger home.
Things To Consider Before Buying A Router
The J.D. Power Award made it easier for us consumers to gauge the best router to buy. Here are the 10 vital factors to consider:
- Wi-Fi range. This comes as the first to consider when buying a router since this is your primary purpose for getting one - wireless connectivity. Find a router that best serves the space you occupy. Also, a router that works with a mesh is a great choice for very large houses.
- Reliability. You don’t want a router that reboots every few hours or disconnects within a few minutes. Read customer reviews to understand how your favored router fairs before buying it.
- Download & upload speed. The faster the speed of the upload and download of your router, the better. Check also the latency when doing your speed test. The smaller this number is, the better.
- Connection restoration. Your router may disconnect from the internet occasionally. The best kind of router reconnects automatically in a few seconds without you having to check on it manually.
- Security capabilities. If you have children who use the internet, setting up parental control is a must to monitor their usage and the websites they visit. Built-in antivirus and VPN capability come in handy.
- Price. Don’t leave a dent in your wallet when choosing a router. Find something most optimal for your budget without sacrificing the quality of service.
- Ease of set-up. Some routers need technical skills to set up and the services of IT experts can be expensive. Look for a router that you can plugin and configure in just a few easy steps.
- Additional features. A lifetime subscription to antivirus security, link aggregation, Mu MIMO, and mesh capability are some of the top features to look for in a router.
- Intuitive user interface. Not all router users are techy. Get a router that you can diagnose and troubleshoot when simple issues occur without having to call customer support or hiring an IT expert.
- Customer service. Responsive after-sales customer service is a nice addition to any product. Even crappy items get better reviews with excellent customer service. Buyers feel better when customer service goes out of their way to solve a problem that is brought to their attention.
The TP-Link Archer AC4000 Tri-Band Router offers reliable connectivity, security features, and parental control. You'll have to shell out a budget to buy this router but the expense is totally worth it considering its high value features. The Archer AC4000 handles fast data transfer through the 4 Gigabit LAN ports and communicate within the network at excellent speeds. You can also control this router remotely through Alexa or from the companion mobile app. Even if you forgot to turn off your router when you leave home, you can turn it off from your mobile phone.
Are you ready to buy your next monster router? Get your TP-Link Archer AC4000 Tri-Band Router here. Not what you’re looking for? Try our review for 4-port routers or if you need more ports, check out the 8-port routers buying guide to find out what works best for you.