Wi-Fi has become a crucial part of our day-to-day living. Our ability to work and play is no longer limited by time or location with this modern technology! However, there may be times where you've found yourself wondering how to turn my modem/router combo unit Wi-Fi off? Well, don't worry, as we're going over all the steps below, solving your problem!
What is a Modem/Router Combo
Before we start discussing the step-by-step guide, let's review what a modem and router combo is. A modem is a device that takes internet service from your provider and then sends it to your computer/device via Wi-Fi or an Ethernet cable.
On the other hand, routers help provide access to multiple computers at once; this is done through how many ports they have. They also allow you to customize how far your wireless range goes.
But what about the modem/router combo? It is a device that combines the functions of both a modem and router. This saves you space on your desk and makes sure there is less hassle if something goes wrong with one of them.
For example, an Ethernet cable breaks, or someone trips over it. Then you can easily switch to Wi-Fi without having to purchase another separate unit.
Turn Off Wi-Fi on Modem/Router Combo Automatically
Do you know that some modem/router combo models can schedule Wi-Fi to be disabled automatically? Yes, how to turn off Wi-Fi on modem/router combo automatically is one of the most asked questions by users.
To perform this, follow these steps:
- Go to the router management page.
- On the Wireless Settings page, click the "Edit Wi-Fi Calendar."
- In the pop-up dialog, select limited time, then enter time ranges to turn Wi-Fi on for each day.
- Click OK to dismiss the dialog, then click Save to save Wireless Settings.
Turn Off a Modem/Router Combo Manually
You can turn off your modem/router combo manually by following the steps below:
- Find the Wi-Fi button on your modem/router combo.
- Press and hold the button for 5 seconds.
- The Wi-Fi light will turn off, indicating that it is now off.
Turn Off Wi-Fi via Web Interface
There are several ways to turn off your modem router. One of the most common methods is to use a web browser. To do this, you must have an internet connection and a working computer or any device. Please note that this step-by-step guide may not work with all modem/router models.
To perform it, follow these steps:
- Go to your browser and type 192.168 .0 .254 in the address bar, which will bring up a window for the router configuration page.
- Now, login into that admin interface with user id & password provided by the ISP provider is usually found below the modem box; if not, find out how to reset it to default settings from the internet.
- Once you login into the device admin interface, you will see how to turn off Wi-Fi on the modem/router combo option in the main menu. Click it.
- Under the section ‘Wireless,’ find out & enable the checkbox with the label ‘Disable Wireless Radio’ and save changes made by clicking on the apply button placed below the needful setting. This action will disable all wireless connectivity options, including Wi-Fi.
- Now save settings by clicking the apply button & your Wi-Fi will be disabled, and you are done with this step.
How to Turn Off Wi-Fi in a Specific Router
As previously stated, the steps may differ depending on the manufacturer of your modem/router combo. We hope your router model is among those listed below. Let's look at how some modems are set up for this purpose.
- Run your web browser and go to your modem web page by entering the IP Address.
- Enter your admin username and password. The default username and password are admin and password, respectively.
- Click on the Advanced tab.
- Click on the Advanced Setup menu and then Wireless Settings.
- Uncheck the Enable Wireless Router Radio for both the 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ networks.
- Click on Apply.
- Launch a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari.
- Enter admin in the Username field.
- Click the Login button.
- Click the Wireless link on top of the screen.
- Choose Disabled in the drop-down section for Wireless.
- Click the Apply button.
- Open a browser and enter the IP address 192.168.
- Click on Wireless under the Advanced Settings section of the menu.
- Click on the Professional tab.
- Select 5GHz in the Frequency field.
- Select No in the Enable Radio field.
- Click Apply to save the configuration.
Please note that details may vary depending on your modem/router combo unit model. Before performing the steps, it is essential to know your exact model to avoid harm to your device.
Advantages of Turning Your Wi-Fi Modem Off
Turning off your Wi-Fi modem has a lot of significance, including:
- Good for the environment
- Save you money
- Good for your health
- Avoid your modem to heats up
Do you know that turning off your Wi-Fi is good for your health? Yes, you heard it right! The study says that more prolonged exposure to Wi-Fi causes illness due to Wi-Fi radiation. Turning the Wi-Fi off when not in use will also help you save money to lower your electricity bill. It is good to turn off the Wi-Fi to save money and protect the environment and your life.
Turning off your Wi-Fi modem/router when you leave home is necessary, especially during an extended vacation. We all know that there are some instances that the modem/router overheated when left turned on.
To avoid this and the worst scenarios, you have to practice turning off your Wi-Fi every time you need to. In that way, you will have peace of mind while on vacation without worrying about your device exploding when overheating.
Disadvantages of Turning Your Modem/Router off
If there are advantages, there are always some disadvantages, let's take a look at them:
- All your connected devices will disconnect from the wireless connection.
- Since your devices will lose internet connection, you won't be able to get emails and notifications.
- You will have to reconnect your devices to the modem/router when turned on.
As mentioned above, turning your Wi-Fi off is not that tricky. To help you do it on your own, we provided a step-by-step guide for you.
How to Get Internet Connection Without Wi-Fi
There are multiple ways to get the internet without using a wireless connection. These include the following:
Through Ethernet Cable
One of the most common methods is using an Ethernet cable connected from your modem/router combo device to a laptop or desktop computer. In this way, you can have an internet connection, even without turning on your Wi-Fi modem/router.
Via USB Tethering
You can also use USB tethering to connect your Android phone's data network with other devices via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.
Via Hotspot Feature
If you have a smartphone that supports the hotspot feature, then you just need to turn that feature ON and create a personal Wi-Fi access point.
FAQs About Modem and Router Combo
1. Should I turn off my modem/router combo unit when not in use?
It is a good idea to turn off a network when not in use for a prolonged time. But also keep in mind that power-cycling home networking equipment shouldn’t be done too often to prevent harming or disturbing your setup.
2. Is it true that leaving Wi-Fi on increases your electricity bill?
In general, your Wi-Fi will be turned on throughout the day, and it will contribute 1 to 5 percent of your energy cost. It is essential to determine the power consumption of the Wi-Fi router, which typically uses 15 to 100 watts.
3. Is it wrong to unplug my router and modem?
As far as the router is concerned, no, it will not cause any harm. It retains its settings and will only restart when power is restored. Anything that requires the router at that time will be unable to use it.
Turning off a Wi-Fi modem/router combo unit is not as complicated as we thought. We hope this blog post has given you the information you need to turn off your modem/router combo unit Wi-Fi. We are confident that you can perform this on your own.