Hitron Technologies produces some of the most reliable cable modems available today. Most customers choose cable or fiber internet connections (instead of DSL) because it is much more consistent. If you've just received your cable modem from your ISP, follow the instructions in this article to install your router and log in to make changes to your settings.
How Do I Log Into My Hitron Router?
When you receive your Hitron router, you should have the router box, the A/C power cord, a coaxial cable, and an Ethernet cable. In this section, we will cover installing your hardware and logging into your new router for the first time.
Installing Your Hitron Router
Collect everything you need to install your router. After finding an ideal location for setup, follow these instructions to install your hardware.
1. Insert the cable into the coaxial port on the back of the router. Place the other end into the cable wall outlet.
2. Connect the A/C cord into the router. Insert the plug into a power outlet close to where you are setting up your router.
3. Watch the lights on the front of your router. They will blink as your router is turning on. Wait until they stop blinking before proceeding to the next step.
4. Use the Ethernet cable to connect the router to your computer. Place one end into an Ethernet port on the back of your router. Connect the other end to the Ethernet port on your laptop or PC.
Logging into Your Hitron Router
Once you have your hardware set up, you can log into your router. Complete the following steps:
1. Open an internet browser on your computer.
2. If you don't have internet access, double-check the connections on your router.
3. Type the router’s default IP address, 192.168.0.1, in the browser. Press “Enter.”
192.168.0.1 is the default IP address for most Hitron routers. To find out the default IP address for your particular router, check the white sticker on your router's back or side. This will include your default IP address, default admin login credentials, and the SSID network name and password.
4. When the login window pops up, enter the default admin username and password. Click “OK.”
The default username for most Hitron router is either “cusadmin” or “admin.” The default password is almost always “password.” You can find your exact admin login credentials on the sticker on the side of your router.
5. You are now logged into your Hitron router.
If you get lost, you can watch the support video below that shows the setup process.
Note: Below is a list of models, usernames, and passwords
Default IP address
How to Reset a Hitron Router
If you can't log into your router, the best solution is to reboot or reset your router. Depending on the issue you are having, a reboot may resolve your problem. If a reboot doesn’t help, then a factory reset will return your router to its default settings.
Rebooting a Hitron Router
A reboot is a simple fix for simple problems with your router. If you are having trouble logging in, or your router is running slowly, it most likely needs a reboot. Follow these instructions to reboot your router:
1. Find the power button on your router.
2. Press the power button to turn the router off.
If your router doesn’t have a power button, unplug the router from the wall outlet.
3. Wait a few seconds.
4. Turn the router back on.
Press the power button again or plug the router back into the wall outlet.
5. Wait until the router boots up before attempting to log in or use the internet.
Rebooting Your Router from the Admin Menu
If you are already logged into your router, you can reboot it through the menu.
To reboot a Hitron router from the menu:
1. Click on the “Admin” menu.
2. Select “Device Reset.”
3. Click “Reboot.”
4. The router will turn itself off and back on again.
Resetting a Hitron Router
If you can’t log into your router after a reboot, then the best solution is to reset your router. This wipes all of the settings, returning the router to its factory default settings. From there, you can use the credentials printed on the side of your router to log in.
There are three ways to reset your router: using the router’s menu, using the reset button, or performing a 30-30-30 reset.
Reset a Hitron Router from the Menu
Complete these steps to perform a reset when logged into the router.
2. From the main screen, click on the “Admin” menu.
The "Admin" menu is usually located at the top of the screen, but it may be on the left of your screen.
3. Under the “Admin” options, select “Device Reset.”
Follow any necessary prompts to begin the reset. The router will turn off and reset itself. When it turns back on, the factory settings will be restored.
Reset a Hitron Router Using the Reset Button
If you aren’t logged into your router, you can reset it manually. Follow these instructions to reset your router:
1. Find the reset button on your router.
It is usually close to the Ethernet ports on the back. If your reset button is inside of a hole, insert a small, narrow item inside of it to press the reset button. A ballpoint pen, an unfolded paperclip, or a SIM card remover works great for this.
2. Press the reset button. Hold it down for 10 seconds.
3. The router will begin the reset.
The lights on the router will flash, and then the router will reset itself. The router will turn off and turn back on. Do not touch your router or turn it off during the reset.
4. The router will return to its default settings when it turns back on.
Reset a Hitron Router Using the 30-30-30 Method
If your router isn’t operating correctly after performing a reset, try a 30-30-30 reset. It is a little different than a standard reset, and it is a last resort effort to fix your router before calling customer support. Follow these instructions to perform a 30-30-30 reset.
1. Press the reset button. Hold it down for 30 seconds.
2. Unplug the router while continuing to hold down the reset button.
3. Keep the router unplugged for 30 seconds.
4. Don’t release the reset button. Plug the router back in. Continue holding the reset button for 30 more seconds.
5. The router will reset itself and return to factory settings.
Watch this video to learn how to reset your router.
How to Configure a Hitron Router
As soon as you log in, most cable routers will direct you through the configuration process. If not, don't worry. We'll show you how to configure your router manually. Changing these settings will make your internet connection more secure.
Changing the Admin Password
Changing your admin password helps keep others from logging into your router and changing its settings. Read these instructions to change the default admin login password.
1. Log into your router with the default password.
2. Click on the “Admin” menu.
3. Select “Management” submenu.
4. In the “Username” field, use the dropdown menu to make sure “admin” is highlighted.
5. Type the default admin password in the “Old Password” field.
6. Enter a new admin password in the “New Password” field.
7. Re-enter the new password in the “Confirm New Password” field.
8. Click “Save Changes.”
Changing the SSID Network Name
The SSID Network Name is the name of your wireless internet connection. You should change this from the default name listed on the sticker on your router.
To change the SSID name:
1. Log into your Hitron router.
2. Select the “Wireless” menu option.
3. Click the “Basic Settings” tab.
4. Choose either the 2.4GHz tab or the 5GHz tab.
You’ll have to change the SSID name for both bandwidths separately. The menu software automatically chooses 2.4GHz for you, so you should change these settings first.
5. In the “Basic Settings” section, turn on the WiFi in the “Wireless Enabled” field.
6. Use the dropdown menu to change the “Wireless Mode” to “802.11 g/n mixed.”
7. Change the “Wireless Channel” option to “Auto.”
8. In the WPS Enabled field, choose “On” or “Off.”
9. Choose “Off” for the “WPS Enabled” setting.
WPS lets anyone connect to your internet without a password. Leaving this setting off is safer for your internet connection.
10. In the Multiple SSID Settings section, change the SSID name in the “Network Name (SSID)” field.
11. Next to “Enable,” click the “On” button.
This setting turns on your WiFi.
12. Turn on “Broadcast SSID.”
This setting sends out the signal to connect to your WiFi.
13. Turn the “WMM (QOS)” setting on.
This prioritizes upload and download speeds based on your configurations. It avoids data lagging when running multiple devices.
14. Click “Save Changes.”
15. Scroll to the top of the screen. Select the 5GHz tab.
16. Complete the above steps. Make sure to make the second SSID name slightly different than the 2.4GHz bandwidth.
17. Click “Save Changes.”
Changing the SSID Password
For even more security, you should change your WiFi password, too. Follow these instructions to change your SSID password. If you have just changed your SSID name, skip steps 1 and 2.
1. Log into your router, if you haven’t already.
2. Select the “Wireless” menu.
3. Click on the “WPS & Security” submenu.
4. Find the “Security Settings” section on the right of the page.
You will see two links, one for each SSID name. The bandwidth at the top should be visible.
5. Change the “Security Mode” to “WPA-Personal.”
6. Use the dropdown menu to set the “Auth Mode” to “WPA-PSK” or WPA2-PSK.”
7. Set the “Encrypt Mode” to “AES.”
8. Change the SSID password in the “Password” text box.
9. Click on “Save Changes.”
10. Select the other bandwidth SSID.
11. Repeat the above steps.
12. Click on “Save Changes.”
Saving Backup Settings
After completing your configurations, back up your settings. This puts all of your settings into a file that you save to your computer. If you perform a factory reset, you can upload the file to your router, and your settings will be restored.
To save a backup file:
1. Log into your router.
2. Click on the “Admin” menu.
3. Select “Backup.”
4. Next to “Backup your settings locally,” click on “Backup” to save a file of your settings to your computer.
When you perform a reset, your router returns to its factory default settings. If you saved a backup copy of your settings before the reset, you can quickly restore them.
To restore your saved settings:
1. Log into your Hitron router.
2. Select the “Admin” menu.
3. Click on “Backup.”
4. Next to “Restore settings from a local file,” click “Choose File.”
5. Locate the backup file saved to your computer. Double click on the file. Click “Restore.”
6. The router will restore your prior settings.
Watch the video below, General Tips About Your Hitron Router, for extra help configuring your router.
Watch the video below for help setting up your internet on your Hitron router.
By using this easy-to-follow guide, you can set up your Hitron cable router in no time. Since you have cable internet now, you’ll notice faster speeds and quicker uploads. This is helpful if you run a home business, or your family members use lots of devices between them.
People Also Ask
Read this section of frequently asked questions on setting up a Hitron router for extra help during installation.
What is the Default Password For a Hitron Router?
Hitron routers use “password” as their default password. Always check the sticker on your router to make sure this is your default password.
How Do I Change the Password on My Hitron Router?
Changing the admin default password will help secure your router. Since the default password is printed on the side of your router (and it's one of the most generic passwords out there), anyone could access your router. See the “Changing the Admin Password” section of “How to Configure Hitron Router” for more information on how to change your admin password.
How Do I Find My Hitron Wi-Fi Password?
The default WiFi password is printed on the side of your router, on a white sticker.