When installing your new router for the first time, one of the essential steps is logging into the router and updating the security settings from the router’s main menu.
Although Arris routers come in several different models, they all follow the same basic instructions to login for the first time. This article will explain all the steps required for logging in to your router and changing your settings for the first time.
How to Set Up an Arris Router
When setting up your router, you'll need to log in to the router's menu to connect it to your internet. Once you complete the login steps, then you can configure the settings to make your internet connection safer, such as changing the router's password and changing the wireless SSID network name and password. First, you'll need to set up the router's hardware.
To set up your Arris router, you’ll need the router unit, the A/C power cable, and two Ethernet cords. When you receive your router, it will most likely only have one Ethernet cord included, so you’ll have to either purchase or borrow another one for the setup. If you have an Arris cable router, you’ll also need the coaxial cable included in your package.
1.Connect the router to the modem
Use the Ethernet cord to connect the modem to the router. Place each end in the yellow ports on the back of your modem and router.
If you have an Arris cable router, connect it to the cable line with the included coaxial cable first. Take one end of the cable and screw it into the coaxial outlet in your home, and use the other end to connect it to the router.
2. Connect the router to a computer with the other Ethernet cable
Take one end of the Ethernet port and place it in an Ethernet port on the back of the router. Place the other end into an ethernet port on your computer. If you are logging in wirelessly, you can skip this step.
3. Use the A/C power cord to plug your router into an outlet
Plug the cord into a power outlet and connect the other end to the router. Wait between two and five minutes for it to power on.
How to Log in to an Arris Router
After setting up the Arris router, you can begin the login process. There are three ways you can log in to your Arris router: using a web browser, using the SSID network name and password, and using the mobile app.
How to Login to an Arris Router with a Web Browser
Here's how to login to an Arris router via a web browser:
1. Locate the username and password on the back of your device.
On the back or side of your router, there will be a sticker with all your default login information. Look for two sets of credentials: the username and password and the SSID username and password. Don’t confuse the two. You’ll need the router’s username/password for the next steps, but you won’t use the SSID username/password combination until later.
2. Open an internet browser on your smartphone or computer. Enter your Arris router’s IP address and press “Enter.”
This is the IP address for most Arris routers: http://192.168.0.1. It is printed with the credentials on the back of your router. If you can’t find it, or the one printed does not work, try one of the following IP addresses:
3.The router login page will appear on the browser page. Type your router’s default username and password in the corresponding text boxes.
The default username/password combination for most Arris routers is “admin” and “password.” These credentials include special characters, and they are case-sensitive. If you hardwired it to your computer, you can bypass the password.
4. After entering the username/password combination, press “Enter.” The router’s main menu will appear in the web browser.
How to Log in to an Arris Router Using the SSID Network Name and Password
Before logging into your router on a mobile device, find the default SSID network name and password printed on the back of your router.
1. Visit the wireless connection menu on your device.
Depending on your device, this will be a wireless internet icon or a submenu in your general settings.
2. In the list of available connections, click on the network that matches the SSID name listed on the back of your Arris router.
3. Click on the connection and enter the default password when prompted.
Your device is now connected to the internet.
4. Open an internet browser on your device. In the address bar, enter the router's IP address and press "Enter."
5. When you reach the login page, type in the router’s default username/password combination. Press “Enter” to reach the main menu.
You are now logged into the router on your mobile device.
How to Log in to an Arris Router Using the Mobile App
If you have an Arris SURFboard, then you can log in using the Arris SURFboard app. This model is a combination cable modem/router. The installation is a little different than other Arris routers, but the app walks you through the whole login process.
Some Arris routers allow you to log in via a mobile app. The Arris SURFboard app is only compatible with SURFboard cable modem/routers, and it is available for download at the Apple Store or Google Play.
1. Using the included coaxial cable, connect the SURFboard modem to the cable outlet.
2. Download the Arris SURFboard app from the Apple Store or Google Play to your device. Log in to the app.
3. Scan the QR code on your router.
4. Once you scan the code, the app will walk you through the login and installation process step-by-step.
For more help, watch the following YouTube tutorials.
How to access your router’s menus to find out the IP address and user name and passwords. (This is a general tutorial, but it is useful for learning how to log in to an Arris router and reach the main menu.)
Installing and activating Your Surfboard Modem and Wi-Fi Router. This Arris tutorial is for the SURFboard cable modems, and it breaks down how to install and configure your router.
Setting up your ARRIS Internet, Wi-Fi & Voice Modem
How to Reset Arris Router
Occasionally over the life of your router, you may have to reset it. This process is mostly reserved for technical difficulties, but it is also useful for when you are having trouble logging in.
If you can't remember the username/password, performing a factory reset will return the router to the default settings. This means you can reach the main menu using the default credentials listed on the back of the unit.
Remember that a reset is not the same thing as a reboot. Rebooting your router is pretty common, especially after a power outage or when your unit won’t connect to the internet.
A reboot – which involves turning off the router and turning it back on – will not erase your settings. A factory reset deletes any settings or passwords you have changed, so you will have to log in and change your settings again.
Resetting an Arris Router
If performing a reboot doesn’t solve any issues you are having, then you’ll have to factory reset your router. You can perform a factory reset in three different ways: using the main menu on an Internet browser, pressing the reset button, or the 30-30-30 method.
Before attempting a reboot or a reset, unplug any wires except for the power A/C cable.
Rebooting Your Arris Router
If you are experiencing technical issues, usually a reboot will solve the problem. If it doesn't, then perform a reset to return it to its factory settings.
1. Press the power button until the router turns off. Press the power button again to turn it back on.
2. Unplug the router from its power source. Leave it unplugged for five minutes before plugging it back in.
How to Factory Reset an Arris Router (Main Menu Internet Browser)
Using the main menu on an Internet browser, here's what you need to know.
1. Open an internet browser. Log in to your router.
2. From the main menu, click on “Utilities.”
3. Select the factory reset option.
4. The router will perform the factory reset.
It will take between 2 and 5 minutes for your Arris router to reset and return to factory settings. It will turn off and then turn back on. Once all the lights have turned back on, try to log in to your router with the default username/password.
How to Factory Reset an Arris Router (Button)
Here's what you need to now what it comes to factory setting your Arris router:
1. Locate the reset button on your router. It looks like a small hole with a button inside of it.
2. Find a small object with a thin, dull edge, such as a ballpoint pen or an unfolded paperclip.
Insert the object into the reset hole. Hold down the reset button down until it turns off. This usually takes about ten seconds.
3. The router will turn back on within a few minutes.
After the reset is complete, all the lights on the router will light up.
4. Log in with the default username/password.
As soon as you log in, configure your router.
How to Reset an Arris Router (30-30-30 Method)
After trying to reboot and factory reset your router, you can try the 30-30-30 method if you are still having issues. This type of factory reset is more aggressive than the rest, so it is not recommended until all other options have failed.
1. Using a pen or a paperclip, press down on the reset button for 30 seconds.
2. Keep holding down the reset button. Unplug the router for 30 seconds.
Do not release the reset button while the router is unplugged.
3. Plug the router back in. Press the power button for 30 seconds.
4. After releasing the power button, release the reset button.
5. The router will reset itself.
Once it has turned back on, and the lights are on, log in to your router. Use the default username/password combination printed on the back of the router.
Check out these helpful YouTube videos for more information on resetting your router:
How to Factory Reset ARRIS Surfboard to Default Settings. This video highlights how to factory reset a SURFboard cable modem, but the process is the same across all models.
How to Factory Reset Arris (Wi-Fi Access Point)
How to Reset Your Wireless Modem from Midco - Arris DG3450. This video explains how to reset your router and the reconfiguration steps afterward.
How to Configure Arris Router
To protect your internet connection, you should change your settings in the router's main menu.
Although there are many steps to configuring your router, the most important ones are changing the username and password and updating the security settings – which includes changing the wireless SSID name and password. You should always update your wireless security options before connecting your devices.
Before you start changing your settings, grab a piece of paper and a pen to write down the changes you make. Keep it for reference in case you ever have to perform a factory reset, which will erase your changes.
This link has a great chart that lists the IP address, username and password combinations.
This link has a chart with username/password combinations, listed by model number.
How to Change an Arris Router’s Username
Here's how to you change an Arris router's username:
1. Log in to the Arris router
2. On the main menu, place your mouse over the menu option “Status” to show the drop-down menu.
3. Under the “Status” drop-down menu, click on the “Security” link.
4. On the “Status – Security” page, select “Change Username” in the drop-down menu.
5. Type the default username in the “Enter Current Username” text box.
6. Type the default password in the “Enter Current Password” text box.
7. Enter your new username in the text box labeled “Enter New Username.”
The router’s username should make it easily identifiable as yours but not something that someone could easily guess.
8. Confirm the change by typing the new username in the “Re-enter New Username” field.
9. Click Apply to save your changes.
How to Change an Arris Router’s Password
Here's how to change an Arris router's password:
1. After changing the router’s password, change the drop-down menu from “Change Username” to “Change Password.”
2. Type the router’s username in the “Enter Username” text box.
3. Fill in the default password in the “Enter Current Password” text box.
4. Create a new password. Type it into the "Enter New Password" text box.
Use special characters in your new password to make it more secure. This new password should be something unique that someone couldn't guess.
5. Confirm the new password in the field labeled “Re-Enter New Password.”
Update the Wireless Security Settings
Here's what you need to know about updating the wireless security settings:
1. Log in to the Arris router.
2. From the main menu, move the mouse over the “Wireless” tab to view the drop-down menu. Click on “Primary Network Settings.”
3. Under the “Primary Network Settings” page, you will see tabs for each bandwidth your internet supports. Click on a tab to change the wireless settings.
If you have dual-bandwidth, then you will see two tabs: one for 2.4GHz and one for 5GHz.
4. Select “Enabled” in the “Wireless Network” field.
5. In the text box under the “Network Name (SSID)” field, change the SSID name.
This is the name of your wireless connection that displays when connecting a wireless device. The SSID name should be a phrase that you will immediately recognize, compared to other wireless signals your device might pick up.
6. Enable the SSID broadcast.
7. In the “Wireless Security” field, click on the drop-down arrow. Select “WPA/WPA2-PSK.”
There will be multiple options in the drop-down menu. WPA/WPA2-PSK offers the best security for your network. It is harder to hack into, keeping your personal information safe.
8. Select “AES-TKIP” in the “Encryption” field.
9. In the “Passphrase” field, update the SSID password.
This is the password for your wireless connection. It may also be labeled as "Pre-Shared Key." This should be a secure phrase with a combination of letters, numbers, and special characters.
It should not be something you can remember off the top of your head. When you update the SSID password, write it down, so you don't forget it.
10. Enable or disable the WPS function.
Most routers have a WPS button, which stands for “WiFi-Protected Setup." This option is only compatible with WPS-enabled devices, and it allows you to connect a device to your wireless network without typing in a password. You can only use WPS if you set your wireless security to WPA/WPA2.
11. Click “Apply” to save your changes.
12. If you have a dual-bandwidth connection, repeat steps 3-11 for the other bandwidth connection.
Since they are two different connections, don’t make the SSID network names the same. You can use the same name you added for the first bandwidth but add a suffix to the second connection to tell the difference between them.
13. Click “Apply” to update your wireless settings.
Connect to the Internet Using WPS
Now that you have updated the Arris router’s security settings, you can connect all of your devices to the internet using the WPS option or directly logging in on your device. You can connect any wireless device, such as TVs, computers, and gaming consoles, using one of these two methods.
1. Find the WPS button on the back of your router. Press the button until it turns on.
2. Find the WPS button on your device. Hold the button for at least five seconds.
3. Check your device to see if you are connected to the internet.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for every device you want to connect to the wireless internet.
Connect to the Internet Using a Device
1. Click on the wireless menu on your device
Depending on the device, this may involve pressing on a wireless icon or accessing the wireless menu options under the general settings.
2. Find your wireless internet connection.
3. Select your internet’s SSID name.
4. Enter the SSID password. Press “Connect.”
5. Check your device to see if you are connected to the internet.
After connecting your devices, you are now able to access your internet. Completing the basic login and configuration steps outlined in this article secures your connection for daily tasks such as remote work, online shopping, and internet searches. If you plan on changing any other settings, consult your user manual.
This YouTube video, Installing and activating Your Surfboard Modem and Wi-Fi Router, is helpful as a broad tutorial on how to set up and configure your router.
People Also Ask
The section below includes some commonly asked questions on the login process. The “People Also Ask” section is intended to be a quick reference point for installing and logging in to your router.
How Do I Find my Arris Router Password?
All Arris routers come with default usernames/passwords for the wireless connection and the router itself. These default values are usually listed on the back of the router, but they may also be printed on the side.
How Do I Change the Password on my Arris Router?
Log in using the default username/password combination. In the router’s main menu, select the “Security” option under the “Status” menu. Choose “Change Password” in the drop-down menu. Enter the current username and password. Enter your new username – or what you want to change the username to be – in the “Enter New Username” field. Click “Apply” to save the changes.
How Do I Access my Arris Router Settings?
Log in to your router with either the default username/password combination listed on the back of the router. Once you log in, you can access the router settings. If you have already completed the initial login and configuration process, log in using the username and password combination you have selected.
What is Arris Admin Password?
The default Arris Admin Password is the default password listed on the back or side of the router. This value is usually “password,” but it could be different depending on your model.