With some of the fastest speeds on the market today, AT&T offers home and business internet services throughout most of the country. In today’s world of telecommuting and streaming services, high-speed Internet is a must. When you sign up for AT&T services, they provide a router suited to your services.
To make setting up your service more convenient, the company offers a self-installation option, which means you can set up your router and get connected to the Internet in less than an hour. This article will explain how to log in to your router and change your settings.
How to Login to an AT&T Router
One of the most irritating things about switching your internet provider (or having Internet installed for the first time) is waiting for the technician to arrive. Setting up your device yourself is much easier: it is more convenient to your schedule, and it doesn’t require any technical knowledge.
When finalizing your AT&T services, opt for the self-installation option. You can pick up your router from an AT&T location, or you can have it delivered to your house.
Logging Into an AT&T Router
To log into your AT&T router, follow these instructions:
1. Open the box and set up your hardware.
Your router will arrive in a box with everything you need to set up your services at home. Use the instructions included in the box to install your hardware. The item – also called the gateway device – has colored ports that match the included cords to make it easier to see where the cables need to go. Connect the wires to the right ports and plug the router into a wall outlet.
2. Turn on your router.
This should take about 10 minutes to power up completely. When the lights turn on and remain solid green, you can continue the login process.
3. Connect the router to a mobile device or your computer.
To connect your wireless mobile device to the Internet, use the default Wireless Network Name and Wireless Password listed on the black sticker on the side on your router. In your device’s settings, open the Wi-Fi settings menu. In the list of available networks, find the connection that matches the default Wireless Network Name listed on your router. Click on the connection. When prompted to enter a password, enter the default Wireless Password printed on the device. Open an internet browser on the device to check for an internet connection.
Plug an Ethernet cable into an Ethernet port on the back of the item. Then, plug the other end into an ethernet port on your computer. This is a hardwired connection, so you don’t have to enter a password to connect to the Internet.
4. Open an Internet browser on your mobile device or computer, such as Safari, IE, or Google Chrome.
5. Enter the router’s default IP address in the address bar — press Enter.
The router’s default IP address is listed on the side of the router. For AT&T routers, the default IP address is either 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.1.1.
6. The router’s main menu will appear.
Most commonly, AT&T routers won’t ask for a default username or password to log into the device. If your item lists a default username and password on the side of the product, you will most likely be prompted to enter them when you log into the device.
If you do receive a login prompt, and you don’t see a username/password combination on the side of your device, try entering the following combinations:
- Router username: admin or leave blank
- Router password: attadmin or leave blank
If you receive a login prompt and the credentials you have do not work, then reset your device.
Using the Smart Home Manager
Once you are logged into your device and have internet access, this is a great time to check out AT&T’s web and mobile app, the Smart Home Manager. You can log into your AT&T Smart Home Manager on a web browser on your computer, or you can download it to your mobile device from the Apple App Store or Google Play. This app allows you to monitor your account, change your settings, and pay your bill.
To log into the Smart Home Manager on your computer:
1. Open an Internet browser.
2. Visit https://myhomenetwork.att.com/#/login.
3. Sign in with your AT&T account username and password.
To log into the Smart Home Manager on a mobile device:
1. Download the AT&T Smart Home Manager app from Google Play or the Apple App Store.
2. Open the program as soon as it finishes downloading.
3. Sign in with your AT&T account username and password.
Watch these helpful videos that show you how to log into your device:
How to Reset AT&T Router
Are you having issues logging into your router? Is your device running slow or not operating correctly? Performing a reboot or a reset can solve most minor login and troubleshooting issues with your product.
What’s the Difference Between a Reboot and a Reset?
When learning how to reset your device, you’ll hear the term reboot. A reboot is not the same process as a reset. Rebooting a router – which is also known as a Power Cycle – involved turning the router off and turning it back on. This does not change any settings, but it is usually enough to get your device running correctly again. Rebooting your router often – especially after a power outage or when you are experiencing slow Internet – can keep your hardware in better condition, eliminating the need for frequent resets.
If a reboot fails to solve your issue, then perform a reset. A reset restores all the default settings to your router as if you just pulled it out of the box. This is helpful if you forget your login information, or your device is seriously malfunctioning. There are two ways to reset your AT&T router: using the reset button or performing a 30/30/30 reset. We will go over how to do both here.
How to Reboot Your Router
There are several ways you can reboot your device. You can use the Smart Home Manager, or you can log into the device and use the web menu. You can also just disconnect the product from its power source and reconnect it. In this section, we’ll go over each method of rebooting your device.
Rebooting an AT&T Router Using Smart Home Manager
To reboot your router in the Smart Home Manager, follow these steps.
1. Log into Smart Home Manager using your computer or mobile device.
2. Turn off all of your other wireless devices connected to the Internet.
3. At the bottom of the home page, click “Reboot Wi-Fi Gateway.”
4. The router will automatically turn off and turn back on.
5. Wait until the lights on the router turn back on. They should be solid green before you check for an internet connection.
Rebooting an AT&T Router Using the Router’s Menu
To reboot your device through the router’s menu, complete these steps.
1. Log into your router.
It is best to use a computer for this. Turn off every other device that is connected to your device.
2. Look at the top of your screen. Click on the “Device” menu.
3. Under the “Device” submenu, click on “Restart Device.”
4. The router will reboot itself.
5. When the lights turn back on and they are solid green, check for an internet connection.
Rebooting an AT&T Router Using the Power Cord
This method is the easiest way to reboot your device; you don’t have to log into your router or the Smart Home Manager. To reboot your router using the power cord method, follow these instructions.
1. Turn off all devices connected to the router’s internet signal.
2. Turn off the router using the On/Off button.
If your router doesn’t have an On/Off button, skip this step.
3. Once the router is turned off, unplug the router from the wall outlet.
4. Wait 10-15 seconds.
5. Plug the router back into the outlet. Press the On/Off button (if your router has one) to turn the unit back on.
6. Once the router’s lights turn back on, check your internet connection.
How to Reset Your AT&T Router
In most cases, rebooting your device will solve any technical issues. If you have already rebooted your device and you are still having problems, a reset should be your next step. This will delete your settings and return the product to its default credentials. Before performing the reset, write down all your settings, such as your Wi-Fi username and password and your device access code (if you have changed them from their default values). Keep this close by so you can immediately re-configure your device.
Follow these steps to reset your device:
1. Turn off all your devices linked to your router.
2. Find the “Reset” button on your router.
On most AT&T models, this button is located next to the A/C power port.
3. Use a small utensil, such as a ballpoint pen or the end of a paperclip, to press the reset button.
Insert the end of the utensil into the hole. You’ll hear a slight click when you press down on the button.
4. Press down on the reset button. Wait until the lights turn off.
5. Release the reset button after 15 seconds.
You must hold the reset button for the full 15 seconds. Releasing pressure off the reset button sooner than that will stop the process, and you will have to do it again.
6. Wait for the router to reset. When the lights come back on and turn solid green, then the reset process is complete.
7. Re-configure your router to their former settings before the reset.
The 30/30/30 Reset Method
After performing a reset, your router should be working correctly. If your product still isn’t working properly, you can try the 30/30/30 method, a more aggressive reset of your device.
To perform a 30/30/30 reset, complete the following steps.
1. Turn off all your wireless devices.
2. Locate the reset button. Using a pen or a paperclip, press down on the reset button for 30 seconds.
3. After 30 seconds have passed, continue holding down the reset button. Unplug the router from the wall outlet.
4. Leave the router unplugged for 30 as you are holding down the reset button.
5. Plug the router back into the wall. Hold the button for another 30 seconds.
6. Release the reset button. The router will complete the reset.
7. When the router turns back on and the green lights come back on, the reset is finished.
8. Change your settings as soon as you log back into your router.
You can use the Wi-Fi username/password combination and access code from before the reset. If these are the default values printed on the side of your item, change them to something more secure.
For more help resetting your device, these videos can assist you:
How to Configure AT&T Router
After logging into your product, you should change your settings to make your device safer from prying eyes. Someone can easily use the default values to log into your device without your authorization. Always change your item’s access code and your Wi-Fi network name and password before connecting other wireless devices to the Internet.
Using either the Smart Home Manager or the router’s menu on an internet browser, you can change your settings and also use helpful tools to test your speed and keep an eye on your services. We’ll discuss how to use both the Smart Home Manager and your AT&T router’s menu to configure your unit in this section.
How to Configure AT&T Router with Router Menu
From the router’s main menu, you can change your access code, update your Wi-Fi network name and password, and run a speed test. Follow these instructions to get the most out of your device.
Changing the Device Access Code
When navigating through your router’s settings, the menu may prompt you to enter the device access code. This code is printed on the side of your product, but you should change it as soon as possible.
To change the Device Access Code:
1. Log into your router.
2. As soon as you log in, the browser will direct you to the “Device” menu. If the Device tab in the top left-hand corner is not highlighted, click on it.
3. Under the “Device” submenu, click on “Access Code.”
4. If you haven’t entered your router’s default access code during your session, you will be prompted to enter it here to access the next page.
In the text box, enter your default access code. Click “Continue.”
5. In the “Enter Old Access Code” field, enter the current access code.
Type the code into the text box. If you have not changed your access code before, it will be the default code printed on the side of your device.
6. In the “Enter New Access Code” field, enter your preferred access code.
7. Click “Use New Access Code” to save your settings.
8. The next page will prompt you to set up a hint to your access code in case you forget it.
It is a good idea to write your new access code down and keep it in a safe place.
9. Click “Save.”
10. When you see a confirmation message at the top of the screen, your device access code has been successfully changed.
Changing the Wi-Fi Network Name and Password
You should always change your Wi-Fi network name and password when setting up your services. This will make your internet connection more secure. Since everyone is doing more and more shopping online and using their personal information on their devices, your Wi-Fi should be as secure as possible. Changing the Wi-Fi Network Name and Password will keep your data safe from anyone you don’t want to see it.
To change your AT&T Wi-Fi network name and password, follow these instructions.
1. On the router’s main menu, click on the “Home Network” tab.
2. Under the “Home Network” tab, click on the “Wi-Fi” submenu.
Enter your access code if you are prompted to do so. Click “Continue.”
3. Scroll down the “Wi-Fi” page to the “Home SSID” section.
4. Enable the “Home SSID” signal.
Under “Home SSID Enable,” use the dropdown menu to highlight “On.”
5. In the text box next to “Network Name (SSID),” change the default Wi-Fi network name.
6. In the “Security” field, use the dropdown menu to highlight “Custom password.”
7. Change your default password in the text box of the “Password” field.
8. In the next field, retype your new password to confirm it.
9. Scroll down the page to the “Guest SSID” section.
10. Enable the “Guest SSID” signal.
In the dropdown menu next to “Guest SSID Enable,” select “On.”
11. Change the “Guest Network Name.”
In the text box for this field, change the default Guest SSID name to something suited to your connection. Coming up with a creative alternative name of your main network name isn’t necessary. You can simply add an extra suffix to your Home SSID network name to differentiate the two signals.
12. Change the password in the “Password” text field.
13. Click “Save” to apply your changes.
Run a Speed Test
If your Internet is running slowly, you can run a speed test on your device from its web-based menu.
To run a speed test, follow these instructions:
1. Log into your router.
2. Click on the “Diagnostics” menu.
3. Select the “Speed Test” option under the “Diagnostics” menu.
4. Click on “Run Speed Test.”
5. Wait until the speed test completes.
Your results will display in the “Test History” section on this page. There will be two results: your upstream (upload) speed, and your downstream (download) speed.
How to Configure AT&T Router with Smart Home Manager
If you plan on using the Smart Home Manager to configure your router, follow these steps in this section to configure your router properly.
Changing the Wi-Fi Network Name and Password
The Smart Home Manager has an easy-to-navigate menu that allows you to change your Wi-Fi credentials to more secure settings.
Complete the following steps to update the credentials to your Wi-Fi network and your Guest network.
1. Log into the Smart Home Manager on your computer or mobile device.
2. At the top of the screen, click on the “More” tab.
3. On this page, select the “Network” option.
Click the arrow to the right to reach the “Network” page.
4. You will see two sections, “Main Wi-Fi Network” and “Guest Wi-Fi Network.” You will click on each field to change the network names and passwords.
5. Under Main Wi-Fi Network, click on the arrow in the “Wi-Fi Network Name (SSID)” field.
6. On the next screen, click on the “x” to the right to clear the text box. Enter your new network name. Click “Save.”
7. Click the back arrow labeled “Change Wi-Fi Network Name” at the top left of the screen to return to the previous page.
8. Under Main Wi-Fi Network, click on the arrow in the “Wi-Fi Network Password” field.
9. On the next screen, click on the “x” to clear the old password. Enter your new password. Click “Save.”
10. Click on the back arrow labeled “Change Wi-Fi Password” to return to the previous screen.
11. Repeat steps 5-10 in the “Guest Wi-Fi Network” fields for the network name and password.
If you don’t plan on activating your Guest Network, then you can skip this part.
The Guest Network Name should be similar to your Home SSID to show that both connections are yours. After changing the name and password, click the toggle switch to enable your guest network.
Inviting Users to Your Guest Network
If you have enabled your guest network, you can use the Smart Home Manager to send invites to anyone who wants to use your Internet.
1. Click on the “Tools” tab on the top menu on your screen.
2. Under “Tools,” select “Invite Guest.”
3. Click the “Email” button next to your Guest Network.
4. Enter the required information to invite someone to your network. The Smart Home Manager will send them instructions on how to use your guest internet connection.
Run a Speed Test
If you ever experience slow speeds, you can run a speed test on your device. This lets you see how much speed you are getting compared to what you are paying for.
To run a speed test with the Smart Home Manager:
1. Click on the “Tools” tab.
2. In the list of options, select “Speed Test.”
3. On the next page, click on “Run Speed Test.”
4. Wait a few minutes for the test to complete.
5. Check your results in the “Speed Test History” section.
Use the images in this section with these Youtube videos to configure your router seamlessly:
Configuring Under Router’s Main Menu
Configuring Under Smart Home Manager
When you sign up for any internet service, you have the option to install your equipment yourself. With AT&T, the device comes with illustrated installation instructions that are easy to follow. The setup process is designed to get your router connected as quickly as possible, so you can use the Internet within an hour of getting your box. The reliable internet speeds and easy installation process are some of the reasons why AT&T customers love their services.
People Also Ask
In this section, we will answer frequently asked questions related to setting up and configuring your AT&T device. We have already discussed some of these issues in this article. This section is a great quick reference guide for common issues or problems.
How Do I Access My AT&T Router Admin?
Accessing your AT&T router’s administration page is the same as logging into your device to reach the configuration menu. To access the item admin, complete the following steps:
1. Open an internet browser.
2. Enter your router’s default IP address in the address bar.
3. If your router comes with an admin username and password, enter them into the fields when you are prompted for them.
Read the section “Logging into an AT&T Router” for more details.
What is the Default Password For AT&T Router?
Most AT&T items do not have login credentials. If they do have them, these credentials would be listed on the side of your device. The admin username/password combination will be different than the SSID name and password.
What is AT&T Router IP?
Most AT&T routers have a default IP address of either 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.1.1. Your default IP address is listed on the side of your product.
Is an AT&T Router Any Good?
AT&T issues quality routers by recognized manufacturers, such as Motorola and Netgear. These manufacturers are known for designed quality routers. With proper care and maintenance, an AT&T device will last several years.
How Fast is an AT&T Router?
According to FCC studies, AT&T’s services are fairly accurate, meaning that the speeds they advertise are what you receive. If you are concerned that your router is running slowly, you can run a speed test from your device’s main menu or with the Smart Home Manager. Find out how to run a speed test from either platform in the “How to Configure AT&T Router” section.